The outcomes of the Program have included:
- Improved quality and reliability of coral identification and monitoring information
- An enlarged pool of people capable of collecting / understanding this information in the region
- Wide access to the Coral Finder Toolkit
- Improved conservation and management outcomes
- Contribution to skills exchange in the Western Pacific
- Increased return on funds invested.
Through a partnership with the Fiji Locally Managed Marine Area (LMMA) Network, we have clearly demonstrated the Coral Finder Toolkit and associated resources provide a kick-start to coral identification in the field. These resources are applicable for coral-specialists and non-coral specialists. We have developed a learning pathway for improving and maintaining skills in coral identification.
Check out the Project Bulletins. We provide evidence of strong skills enhancement results for workshop participants and an ongoing impact in Fiji, with many people we trained actively using their newly acquired skills in coral identification. The Coral Finder learning experience can create dramatic up-skilling for early learners and non-coral specialists. The Coral Finder also facilitates rapid revision for coral-specialist users, and is already being used as a teaching tool by some participants.
The uptake of the Coral Finder Toolkit for various Fijian marine assessment initiatives confirms its utility and that the Program is already making a genuine contribution to local capacity building for reef conservation and resource management.
Formal evaluations have clearly demonstrated that the Program, and particularly the workshop component, adds considerable value in terms of skills enhancement and uptake in the workplace compared to just using the Coral Finder in isolation. Workshops also allow training to be tailored to the needs of individuals, locations and organisations.
Added value from participating in the workshop program
- Timeout away from daily jobs to focus on learning
- Opportunities for participants to ask questions and confirm identifications and techniques
- Mentoring and training tailored to needs of individuals and organisations.
- Relevant practical exercises to reinforce, extend and deepen knowledge of corals.
Further information on the Program outcomes is in Project Bulletin 6.